Confessions of an Old-Timer Noob pt. II

4 replies
Votes:
+44
Level 2
LEVEL 2
[PC] Epsilon Fleet
Lt. Commander
I do history for a living, so i'm incapable of discussing anything without laying out the backstory first. When i wrote the first part i was thinking less gamer biography and more thoughts about things i was experiencing differently coming back to the game after so long - but since that is a comparative exercise...

Wait, where was I?

Oh, yeah, Skyrim!

Just today I read a post somewhere else where somebody said they were enjoying Fallout 76 more than Fallout 3 or 4 because they "didn't have time for all that single-player nonsense". That is not a problem I ever had. I'm often playing games specifically to escape other people, so big single-player open-world games have always been my jam (that and turn-based strategy - the amount of time I've spent playing the various interations of Civilization is a bit daunting). All of this is to say other parts of the gamer-verse were able to call to me.

There was also something that happened at about the end of my first year in STO (but not actually in STO) that played a big role in my wandering away for a long time. I started playing SWTOR and enjoyed it. Much like STO, I was having more fun at that point doing solo stuff than anything about it being an MMO (frankly, I just wanted to play KOTOR III). Still, I was trying to find my multi-player groove. I found some cool people, and some not-so-cool people.

One evening, after a particularly brutal day, I logged on to SWTOR and wound up playing a multi-player pve thing with guys I didn't know. When we teamed up, I went out of my way to let them know I was pretty new and very much still learning. We fought through the last boss fight and I was unceremoniously dumped from the group before it resolved. I never quite got how the loot system worked then and I evidently had done something to anger the guy who formed the team. My efforts to find out what were met with foul-mouthed abuse. I sat there feeling angry and embarrassed and started thinking "I actually have a life where I do real things. Why the hell would I ever subject myself to this?"

I logged off, the next day I uninstalled the game, and that was that. For the next several years, every time I thought about playing any MMO, that night popped back into my head and I thought, "Too much of a hassle".

I never uninstalled STO, though (and I'd already bought a lifetime subscription). That chevron just sat there on my desktop staring at me for the next few years.
Posted Wed at 09:32 am · OP
List
Undo
Scratch a historian and you always find a story teller lurking just underneath ^-^
Posted Wed at 04:17 pm
List
Undo
Votes:
+44
Level 2
LEVEL 2
[PC] Epsilon Fleet
Lt. Commander
It is all about the stories
Posted Thu at 06:15 am · OP
Votes:
+41
Level 2
LEVEL 2
[PC] Alpha Fleet
Lt. Commander
I also only play for my enjoyement, i also find pointless to argue or even try to understand other that much.
I do try to stay civil in anyway or form even if someone does something i do not like.

But often like you some jerk try to be funny or make fun of me. I am able to make fun of my self, but when someone make fun of me but in a way i can't laught with him about it.
Or it just a down right way to bring me down and not helpful. I stop hanging with does people.

It find to compete but i hate competing with people that just want to have the best of me in every way and forme.
It maybe fun for that guy, but it not for a group or a team what ever the forme.

I believe in the concept of team work and being part of something bigger then my self. But when it goes against the concept of team work.
I lose interest in that group all together.

Story are importante, but what his important about a game it has to be fun relaxe and enjoyable for you. when it stop to be fun change game fast or stop.
Does angry guy are like that because they played so much it now a work a job for them to make it.

I do not find enjoyement in achieving all to fast and easy. Anyway i was brouth to STO for the lore of startrek and space flight and just the casual exploration concept of the game.
If it was a other game it would not have brouth me here.

It a nice story and can wait for part 3 if there ever going to be a part 3.
enjin-1234688-19707934-gray.png
Posted Thu at 07:01 am
Sto people do tend to be a bit nicer overall. At one point i was badmouthed about shooting the planet killer before the errant rifts where closed. I said back that i had other things to do and wanted to get it over quick. Got a "ah no problem mate, RL is more important" back and that was that. At one time i got annoyed by a player in the Doomsday machine queue who was just hanging about, shooting his firework emote. He badmouthed back and challenged me to a PVP. We did said PVP, i insta-killed him first and then he insta-killed me, we had a good laugh and did some more pve together.

Sto people are just a bit nicer.
Posted Thu at 11:25 am
List
Undo
NoticeNotices